Friday 18 July 2014

Graduation



This day was probably the most important day of my life. I wore a white dress, had a train (of sorts), and was sitting in a gorgeous theatre while organ music was playing, waiting to walk down the “aisle.”
 Before you say anything, no, it was not my wedding day – I have not yet found my future husband (or rather he hasn’t found me) and besides I still have a career to establish and a big, bright, beautiful world to explore.

It was my graduation day! 

My family and I got up early and headed off into Aberdeen, where I would check in at His Majesty’s Theatre (where the ceremony was held) at 9.30, ready for it to start at 10.30. I made my way to my seat and caught up with some of my classmates, when all of a sudden my cousin came to greet me. After taking a few serious and silly photos, she made her way to her seat in the balcony and I returned to my seat in the stalls. The ceremony started and after a few speeches and someone being given an honorary degree it was our turn.  

This was the important moment. It was our time to shine. We were shuffled backstage, ensuring that our hoods were on right and they weren’t falling off our shoulders. Nerves were running high, with students wondering whether they will trip and fall flat on their faces or worse take a tumble down the stairs.
We were directed by university staff where to go and when to go. For those of you who have seen The Hunger Games I felt like Katniss Everdeen waiting to go on to the stage before her television interview. Pretty nervous and knowing that every second counts when making a good impression. However in a flash, I was being capped by the Principal, shaking his hand, then collecting my scroll and officially becoming Miss Rachel Summers, BA (Hons) Media.

Once the ceremony was over, the rest of the day was spent taking photographs, being told by my dad that I had to ‘smile’ and not grimace, when all the time I was smiling! It got annoying though after a while, but the photos came out really well. I went to the Forum bar and had my first glass of Prosecco, boy is that stuff good, but it fairly goes to your head! A quick lunch and selfie opportunity in Costa, I was soon on my way again to get professional photographs taken, then a few photographs taken with the lion statue outside the Cowdray Hall. I had a few hours left before I had to hand my robes back, so we went to the Art Gallery, which was also to show my cousin who hasn’t been to Aberdeen a lot before.
I felt like a Hogwarts Professor going around the Art Gallery in my robes and that elicited a few stares from people. Well, they know that it’s graduation week, I am not used to getting so much attention and can be very self conscious about how I look. Never mind though, I felt great in my robes and my mortar board. I looked around the gallery, finding an interesting painting of the crucifixion set in the ravines of Macedonia and an exhibition of Aberdeen soldiers in World War I, with some interesting artefacts such as a songbook called ‘Songs from the Trenches’ and a WWI nurses’ uniform. 


After much gallivanting and with a quick drink at Triple Kirks, my cousin had to drive the three hour journey back home to the central belt, I thanked her for coming and being a part of my special day. It was at that point that I had to return my robes sadly and then we headed over to Goulash, a Hungarian restaurant to have our meal. It was absolutely delicious, but in modern terms I think I’m carrying a Hungarian food baby!
 If I could start Wednesday all over again, then I would do it in a heartbeat. Below are some photographs of the special day. 













And some photos from the Graduation Ball which was held the next night: 

 Me with my Comm with PR pals: Jodie, Hannah and Lisa
 Me and Dyan - one of the first people I spoke to when I re-started fourth year. She has since become a really good friend.

Me and Jodie - another really good friend from uni. 

Before going out to the ball. Picture taken in my back garden :P 


Just realised I didn't take a picture of the shoes I wore to the ball. Here is a photo of them from the good old Internet: 


Graduation dress: Lipsy @ ASOS
Ballet pumps: H&M 
Ball dress: Coast @ Debenhams 
Glitter heels: Debut from Debenhams 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment