Thursday 16 April 2015

Cinderella

WARNING: Spoilers ahead - although if you know the Cinderella story already, there are no surprises here.

I haven't visited the cinema very often (due to the fact I've been living in Hungary for the past seven months).  So returning home for the Easter break I decided to go and see the new Disney live action version of Cinderella. I have to admit I am a Disney lover, have been since childhood and the trailer seemed to show this visually stunning film in a positive light, so I decided to check it out.

I went with my good friend and we were the only people without children who were there! I suggested taking a child and passing it off as our own so we didn't look out of place. However that would be wrong, but pretty funny too. Taking our seats we sat through several minutes of trailers and adverts, before the animated short film 'Frozen Fever' appeared. The short takes place after the events of 'Frozen', it is Anna's birthday and Elsa tries to ensure that everything is perfect, but things do not go according to plan...

Once it was finished the main feature began. Thus began the fairytale story of Cinderella, which has been told for centuries. I thought I would enjoy this film. I did, but there are a few things I would like to point out:

1. The whole 'Have courage, be kind' thing. They mention it several times throughout the movie, but I would have liked to have seen it in action. Yes, Cinderella was kind to her witch of a stepmother and her nasty stepsisters, but courage? Probably you would have to have courage if you were living with a woman who made you live in the attic and talk to mice for the most part of your teenage/young adult life. It was just mentioned too much I think, I understand that it is the film's motto, but doesn't mean you have to repeat it all the time.

2. More could have been done to expand on the plot and the characters. The storyline between the Duke and the stepmother scheming evilly could have been done better, such as taking Cinderella hostage (yes I know she locks her in the attic). Cinderella's mothers death was heart breaking and it was beautifully delivered as was the scenes between Cinderella and her father.

3. The pumpkin chase scene was really well done. Although it has happened in many versions of Cinderella over the years, I felt this was the most original take on the scene. With the carriage dangerously steering on the side of a cliff to the way the footmen, horses and driver transformed into their original selves. I applaud the great visual effects and the direction on this one.

4. The Prince knows what Cinderella looks like. But still they HAVE to have every woman try on the glass slipper in the kingdom. Why bother with all that malarky, when he could just go round the houses and recognise the women there? I suppose they just have to do it for the familiarity of the fairytale.

Aside from these, 'Cinderella' is a sweet film which shows that if you are good and kind to others, then good things will happen to you. This normally doesn't happen in real life, but it is nice to indulge in that thought for a while. The colours in the film are gorgeous, much like Cinderella's ball gown which is a beautiful shade of blue. You may enjoy the film better if you go with your children or if you don't have children, then take your young nephews/nieces/cousins etc... (if you have any). However, Disney is for everyone no matter if you are a child or a child at heart!

Cinderella and Frozen Fever is in cinemas now.




No comments:

Post a Comment