Sunday 22 April 2012

Goldfrapp

Since Christmas 2005, I have been a huge fan of the electronic pop duo Alison Goldfrapp and Will Gregory, effectively known as Goldfrapp. 


The duo formed in 1999 and released their first album Felt Mountain in 2000. However, it was not until I received their third album Supernature that I became a huge fan. Normally, I'm not hugely enamored with the whole electro music scene but something about Goldfrapp made it special. I found their songs were enticing and made me want to escape to another world. Alison Goldfrapp makes the music tantalizing, as her soothing, sometimes haunting vocals carry across all the songs. Also, I must note for 45 she is extremely, how should I say this, hot? There's no doubt she is the eye candy of men (and some women!) everywhere, with her flowing blonde locks and glimmering blue eyes.

I have three of their albums: the first one Supernature, released in 2005. This features the hit single 'Ooh La La' (which has featured in the Vauxhall Corsa advert), Seventh Tree, released in 2008 and their most recent album Head First, released in 2010.

Each album is different from the rest, as Supernature is heavily electro-based, Seventh Tree their fourth album takes the folk-hippie approach, with songs such as 'A&E' and 'Happiness'. I'm intrigued by the first song on that album 'Clowns', as Alison Goldfrapp's muffled vocals often make the song hard to understand, but by reading the lyrics, the song is about criticizing a woman who has breast implants and skin cancer causing fake tan. Head First has a go at recreating 80's new wave pop and it doesn't fail to impress. My favourite song on that album is 'Alive', it's a great song to wake up to in the morning and whenever you're feeling down, it will help to pick you right back up.

I hope to see Goldfrapp perform live one day, but at the moment I don't think they seem to be touring. In February 2012, they released Goldfrapp: The Singles, which featured the best tracks from each of their five albums, plus two brand new tracks 'Yellow Halo' and 'Melancholy Sky', which is fast becoming my favourite Goldfrapp track.

I'm hopeful that they will release a new album in the near future. Until then I'll just happily listen to their back catalogue.



The cover is a picture of a woman wearing a black top hat and a white low-cut top.




No comments:

Post a Comment